If you’re like most people, you’re probably skipping buying a mattress protector because you think they’re unnecessary.
Well, here’s the thing.
A mattress protector (also known as a bed protector, mattress cover, or bed cover) is more important than you think. It’s an inexpensive way to keep your mattress nice and good for years. Plus, it helps reduce allergens, dust mites, and damage from liquids.
It’s really important to choose a quality mattress protector (and to pick one that fits – so you need to get a king size mattress protector for a king size mattress or a queen size mattress protector for a queen size mattress) because these simple products can make a world of difference in terms of how long your mattress lasts and even the quality of your sleep. Some mattress protectors are not waterproof, for example, and others make loud crinkly noises while you sleep. There are a lot of options out there, so we’ve created this list to help you find the right mattress protector for you. Now, how do you pick the best mattress protector?
Most people are likely sleeping in cotton or polyester mattress protectors because of the price or because of lack of knowledge – we investigate some of the top bedding companies and find the best mattress protectors on the market. However, we’ve found that cotton and polyester actually are not the best fabrics for mattress protectors because they tend to be louder and more crinkly – bamboo is a much better option.
Here are some general things to look for and things to avoid when looking for a mattress protector:
Things to look for
- Temperature regulation – look for a breathable fabric (like bamboo or tencel)
- 100% waterproof, and tested against wash cycles – the worst thing you can do is get a mattress protector that isn’t waterproof or whose waterproof feature wears out over time. Make sure you look for a fully waterproof mattress protector and read the reviews to see if it lasts. Great mattress protectors often offer a long warranty because the brand’s have confidence knowing they will stand the test of time
- Softness and comfort – you want a mattress protector that is soft. While mattress protectors generally will not be as soft as sheets (that’s what sheets are for!), but you want one that isn’t loud and crinkly (ahem, polyester).
- Hypoallergenic and anti-bacterial – look for a mattress protector that is hypoallergenic and anti-bacterial to resist bacteria that might grow on it
Things to avoid
- Flame retardant – while a flame retardant sounds like a benefit, it might actually do more harm than good. Some flame retardants contain chemicals that are detrimental to your health, according to multiple studies (1), (2). Federal regulations already require your mattress to be able to withstand an open flames for ~30 minutes, so it’s probably not necessary to have a flame retardant mattress protector. If you want to have a flame retardant mattress protector, make sure you do your research so you know the chemicals used in the one you get are safe.
- Loud, crinkly fabrics – make sure you read the reviews and get feedback on how loud/quiet the protector is. While many companies claim that the fabric is ‘quiet’ you only really know once you try it.
Below is a list of the best mattress protectors on the market today. They’ve been selected after carefully considering their price, quality, and special features.
Best Overall Mattress Protector: Dosaze Cooling Mattress Protector, $100
This mattress protector from Dosaze is made of a silver-infused 70% bamboo and 30% cotton fabric blend to ensure users’ comfort. It also treated with an anti-stain repellent solution and finished with a truly waterproof lining. The bamboo / cotton combination is actually comfortable enough to sleep on, in our opinion (though added sheets are recommended!) and and are not loud or scratchy in any way (like a lot of other waterproof mattress protectors are). It has complete moisture protection to make sure no forms of liquids can get to your mattress.
We’re confident when we say that this mattress protector not only protects your mattress investment, it actually enhances your sleeping experience. In all of our testing, it definitely performed the best. This bed protector was waterproof after multiple washes, was not noisy, and was even comfortable enough to sleep on (without sheets).
The Dosaze Cooling Mattress Protector doesn’t just look great; it fits most beds really well, too. In fact, it can fit mattresses up to 18 inches deep. It’s really a great bed protector.
- Nice and soothing feel
- Made of a bamboo blend fabric so it is breathable and soft
- Lasts for years and years (comes with 10 year warranty)
- Not loud or crinkly in any way
- Can fit mattresses up to 18 inches in depth
- Machine washable
- Actually waterproof (see video below) – waterproofing nature survives multiple washes easily
- Only available online
Best Luxury Mattress Protector: Slumber Cloud Dryline Mattress Protector, $189
The SlumberCloud Dryline Mattress Protector is made of high-tech materials (Outlast Xelerate) which is a polyester and lycra knit fabric that was originally designed by NASA. It contains a PCM technology that absorbs and redistributes heat to regulate the temperature of the surface.
This mattress protector does a good job – it’s waterproof and not loud. The cooling effect was harder for us to notice, but it was a quality mattress protector. Our biggest issue with this mattress protector is the price – for $189, we were expecting more features to justify the price.
- Not too loud
- Cooling effect not that pronounced
Best Organic Cotton Mattress Protector: Naturepedic Organic Mattress Protector, $159
If you’re allergic to latex and you’re looking for something made with organic cotton, Naturepedic Organic Mattress Protector won’t disappoint you. It’s made of GOTS certified organic cotton which means that everything about it adheres to organic guidelines.
This product features “dry sleep technology”. Its ultra-thin waterproof layer works really well in blocking off liquids. And the best part? It’s still able to let the fabric breathe. It’s a good waterproof mattress cover.
- Latex-free elastic
- Made with 100% organic cotton
- Shrinks to fit
- Non-crinkly fabric
- Ensures drier and more comfortable sleep
- Has an odor due to the polyurethane
Best Polyurethane Mattress Protector: Linenspa Mattress Encasement, $249
The Avocado Organic Waterproof Mattress Protector is made of quality material and has a durable construction – it performed well in our tests.
It has a thin layer of polyurethane in between two layers of GOTS-certified organic cotton – it is this layer that shields against liquids, bacteria, and dust mites while also not producing the rustling noise that a lot of other mattress protectors make. In addition, the cotton layers allow ample airflow for heat to escape (although polyurethane is a bit warmer than other materials) Cotton also wicks moisture away from the sleeper’s body.
The Avocado Organic Waterproof Mattress Protector is kind of like a fitted sheet – it covers the top and the sides of the bed. There is also an elastic band around the perimeter that holds it in place, and we did not notice that it moved around throughout the night.
While this is indeed a great mattress protector, it is also a bit tough to justify the extremely high price point (nearly $250) -there are other polyurethane mattress protectors and while the cotton is nice, it isn’t a must have for a mattress protector by any means. We think you can spend less than half of the price for an equally effective mattress protector with all of the same features.
A 100-night trial allows customers to return their protector for a full refund of the purchase price if they decide it isn’t right for them, while a 1-year limited warranty covers defects.
- Waterproof and quiet
- Moisture wicking (the cotton layers)
- Very expensive
- Limited 1-year warranty
Softest Mattress Protector: Buffy Plushy Mattress Protector, $129
This mattress protector has a great feel – the eucalyptus fabric is cool and soft to the touch. It contains shredded PET fill that is free of BPAs and has an OEKO-TEX certification, so you can rest easy know that the protector is free of harmful chemicals and substances.
The material does absorb liquid well, but it is important to note that it is not completely waterproof. It is also important to note that this protector only covers the top of your mattress – it doesn’t cover multiple sides so it doesn’t protect your entire mattress.
- Plush, soft feel
- Cooling and breathable
- Only covers top of mattress
- Not waterproof
Best Budget Mattress Protector: Linenspa Mattress Encasement, $24.99
This one’s quite popular because of its zippered enclosure. Offering 360-degree protection, it’s designed to protect your mattress from all liquids and allergens. It can even keep the bed bugs away.
This protector can fit mattresses with depths up to 12 inches. Its soft fabric doesn’t make any crinkling sound. It doesn’t give that plastic-feel between your sheets, too.
- Protects all 6 sides of your mattress
- Machine washable
- With soft and breathable fabric
- Reviewers emphasize that there are holes in the mattress protector that could allow bugs in
- Difficult to remove and clean
- Not breathable, and crinkly and loud
- Doesn’t last that long, so you will likely have to buy multiple
Best Cooling Mattress Protector: Coop Home Goods Mattress Protector, $44.99
The bamboo-derived rayon of this protector is really “breathable”, making it excellent for people who don’t like feeling hot and sweaty while sleeping. Apart from being breathable, the fabric is also soft and quiet.
Another nice thing about this protector is that it’s free from PVC and other harmful chemicals. It’s also excellent for allergy sufferers since the material is considered hypoallergenic.
- No toxic chemicals
- Soft and breathable
- Sweat soaks into the pad
- Odor tends to build up quickly
- Doesn’t last that long – some reviewers emphasize that it begins to fall apart after just a few washes
We hope this list of the best mattress protectors, waterproof mattress protectors, waterproof bed covers, and queen size mattress protector has been helpful for you.
Please SHARE this with your friends and family.