Hot sleepers everywhere know that when it comes to getting a good night’s rest, pillow choice is everything. It’s not just about getting to sleep fast either, it’s about staying asleep! There is nothing worse than waking up in the middle of the night dripping in sweat because you are feeling hot and uncomfortable.
Overheating makes deep sleep almost impossible.
Experts agree that the ideal sleeping temperature is somewhere between 60 and 67 degrees Fahrenheit — it’s a temp that’s probably cooler than you would expect. However, with a cooling pillow, you can rest assured that those long nights of tossing and turning will soon be a thing of the past. No longer will the distracting feeling of heat cause your slumber to be interrupted.
Although, cooling pillows aren’t exactly created equally either. That’s why we’ve put together this list highlighting the pros and cons of all of the top choices on the market currently so that you can make the best selection for your own individual situation.
1. Best Value: WEEKENDER Ventilated Gel Memory Foam Pillow, $29.99
This comfortable foam pillow is packed with a cooling gel and contains a series of small holes to allow for airflow and ventilation. They pulled out all of the stops. Priced at $29.99, it’s incredibly cheap in comparison to some other brands which can cost upwards of $100.
However, you’ll still get all of the most important features that we’re looking for in a cooling pillow. It cradles the neck to provide support, comes with a removable cover to make cleaning easier, and it’s ultra-soft. The reviews don’t lie. Consumers everywhere are glowing about this one. With its mid-loft design measuring to 5-inches of loft, it’s right in the middle between thick and thin. That means that side, back, and stomach sleepers should all be able to use it.
Dimensions: 25 x 16 x 5 inches
- Soft and supportive for the neck
- Removable cover for easy washing
- Ventilated design using Pincore technology
- Affordable price
- Easily compresses for storage
- CertiPUR-US certified
- Three different sizes
- While there are three different sizes to choose from, all have a 5-inch loft. For some people, 5-inches might not match with their individual comfort profile.
2. Best Overall: Eden Adjustable Pillow, $79.99
The Eden adjustable pillow made by Coop Home Goods is somewhere in between high-end and low-end as far as prices go. It’s not as cheap as some, yet, you’ll definitely get some additional benefits by spending a little bit more money.
The adjustable design allows sleepers to customize the pillow to get the specific amount of support that they desire. Simply open it up and add or remove the internal memory foam until it reaches the preferred size. It comes with an additional pack of foam that you can stuff in for increased “oomph”.
Dimensions: 17.99 x 5.98 x 5.98 inches
- Hypoallergenic shredded memory foam
- CertiPUR-US/GREENGUARD Gold Certified
- Adjustable design
- The shredded memory foam has a unique scent that may be too much for individuals who are really sensitive.
3. Best For Slide Sleepers: Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-Cloud Breeze Dual Cooling Pillow, $135.98
It’s one of the more expensive cooling pillows on the market, however, if you are a side sleeper who craves the best, look no further. There is a layer of cooling gel on each side of the pillow, so no matter which way it’s facing, you’ll never overheat during the night. Tempur-Pedic is a trusted brand that has been around for quite some time. If you splurge for this option, there is a good chance that your pillow will last you years.
Dimensions: 27 x 19 x 6.4 inches
- TEMPUR-Breeze Gel Layer included on two sides
- Pressure-relieving material adapts to head and neck
- Great durability and reliability
- It might not be firm enough for those who require a lot of support.
4. Best For Back Sleepers: Helix Adjustable Pillow, $85
One of the layers inside this pillow can be removed, making it easy to achieve proper neck alignment. That means it’s great for back sleepers. The gel microfiber fill is ideal for both staying cool and staying comfortable. Plus, it comes with a one-year warranty when you buy direct from Helix, so if you aren’t 100% satisfied, you can simply send it back to the company for a refund.
Dimensions: 18 x 26 inches
- Adjustable height
- Breathable materials
- One-year warranty
- You can subtract thickness but you can’t add it, so if you’re a side sleeper, it may be too thin.
5. Best Soft Cooling Pillow: Casper Sleep Foam Pillow, $78.46
The plush outer layers provide comfort, while the carefully crafted inner layer delivers the support. It’s a mix of both low-density and high-density foam that will have you sleeping soundly the entire night. Meticulously carved into the design are miniature channels that allow for tons of airflow and one of the coolest night’s sleep that you’ll ever have.
Dimensions: 26 x 18 x 4 inches
- Three different layers of foam
- Highly breathable
- CertiPUR-US certified and the cover is OEKO-TEX Standard 100 approved
- It might feel too firm at first, but it will soften up as your body heat warms it.
6. Best Firm Cooling Pillow: Sleep Number True Temp Pillow, $99.99
This pillow by sleep number comes in a contoured shape for back and stomach sleepers that will give you an additional feeling of support. Classic and adjustable versions are available as well. Meanwhile, the temperature balancing technology will make sure that no matter what time of the night it is, the temperature will remain consistently cool. You don’t have to worry about a lot of variation.
- Classic, contour, and ultimate shape options
- Consistently cool temperature
- Supportive memory foam
- If you like to change up your sleeping position daily, it’s important to remember that the contour option won’t work great for slide sleepers.
7. Best Latex Pillow: Purple Harmony Pillow, $159
The Talalay Latex Core on this cooling pillow is hypoallergenic. In addition, it has continuous airflow and will stay nice and cool all night. The Purple Grid Hex system that they’ve built in will easily adapt to your head and neck, yet, when you get up, it will bounce right back to its normal shape.
Dimensions: 26 x 17 x 6.5 inches
- One-year warranty
- Unique hexagonal design
- Hypoallergenic core
- The high price tag may put this pillow out of reach for some consumers.
8. Best Double-Sided: Reversible Cool Gel and Memory Foam Pillow, $29.99
It’s made by Classic Brands, a company that really has their pillow comfort dialed in. Yet, they’ve still been able to keep their prices affordable. The top and bottom of the pillow each have a layer of squishy cooling gel on the outside. Located in the middle is a very soft and comfortable memory foam that will provide you will all of the comfort you need.
Dimensions: 24 x 16 x 5 inches
- Double-sided cooling gel
- Mesh cover wicks away moisture
- Cheap price
- Some people report a slight rubber smell which could be bothersome.
9. Best Bamboo Pillow: Snuggle-Pedic Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow, $59.99
That’s right folks, the cover is partially made out of real bamboo! It’s a natural material that is surprisingly breathable. There are no zippers or anything to worry about with this pillow. Simply lay your head down and let the self-adapting technology cradle itself around you.
Dimensions: 17.5 x 7.5 x 6.42 inches
- Made in the USA
- Shredded-style memory foam
- 120 sleep nights return policy
- It may get lumpy over time or after washing.
With all of these great options for cooling pillows available, hot sleepers never have to worry about waking up dripping in sweat again. While there are certainly pluses and minuses to choosing one brand’s pillow over another, the reviews for these products are all overwhelmingly positive. No matter which one you choose, you can rest assured that you’ll be sleeping soundly through the entire night afterward.
Please SHARE this with your friends and family.